Here i will share my journey of hopefully one day recognising my dream of becoming published writing what i love to read; Romance!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Patience and a Writing tip

Um, okay. So i submitted The Price of Passion to embrace books and have patiently (read checked emails every day!) for the allotted 4-6 weeks for a reply. Yesterday was the end of 6 weeks....
Do i send an email and ask how they are going, will this garner an instant R? And if i do send an email WHAT DO I SAY?
I've always heard back within time frames so have never had this happen before! I'd love some advice.


Writing tip: Keep detailed notes.
Have you ever come across a story you are really enjoying and halfway through the hero has different coloured eyes?

I find it hard to keep track of small details like that, though not usually for the MC's!
On my christmas present laptop my husband installed microsoft office which has onenote. It has awesome pages and tabs great for organising my study notes, so i thought....why not use it for writing?
And it is fantastic! A new page for characters, plot etc, each with tabs within the page for different characters, key scenes....
It is making it so much easier to find things at a quick glance, rather than having to read through an entire word document for the bit I want!

So the tip this week, is to keep detailed notes that are quick to find!
Have a great day :)

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes it takes a bit longer than the standard time period a publisher mentions. I would wait another week or two. If you haven't heard anything by eight weeks from time of submission, then you might want to consider sending an email. After all, things happen, so a friendly reminder isn't bad as long as you give it a bit of time and don't bombard them with emails. :)

    And, it is so important to keep detailed notes. I completely agree with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cherie, i'll give them until next week then send a nice email:
    Just wanting to find out what has happened with my sub, sincerely Kerrin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally think it's appropriate for you to send in a nice email just to see how things are going. I mean, you have been very patient and it has been six weeks! That's a long time. As long as, like Cherie said, you don't "bombard them with emails!"

    I am totally obsessed with Microsoft OneNote...I use it for EVERYTHING! I love how you can move text around wherever you want. And it's kind of like Microsoft Word and Paint put together!

    Thanks so much for following my blog. :) If you're interested, come sign up for my 100-Followers Blogfest, titled "Inanimation," it's going to be great!

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com/2011/04/100-followers-blogfest-inanimation.html

    ~TRA

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...keeping track of those little snippets of fun details are what make a story memorable, and yes, are difficult to keep from slipping through the cracks. I use post-its like wall paper, surrounding my desk in scribblings. Wife hates it...but all for a worthy cause:)

    EL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to agree with you on One Note. It's a great programme that I don't use often enough.

    ReplyDelete