Here i will share my journey of hopefully one day recognising my dream of becoming published writing what i love to read; Romance!

Friday, November 19, 2010

Passed vs Past

Does anyone else have problems with knowing when to use the correct one?
Going through my ms, i have been struck with the knowledge that i am confused by it, so much so that i change them from one to the other and back again, but still don't think i know!

I try to remember that:
Passed is the past participle of to pass

And,
Past refers to time. (But that changes when someone walks past a shop!)

This article is very good, but i still don't think i have a handle on it.

Can anyone help out? How do you know which one to use?

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Instinct? I have to say I've never thought much about past and passed. I have enough problem with lay, laying, lie and lying as my editor knows well. Sigh..

    ReplyDelete