Here i will share my journey of hopefully one day recognising my dream of becoming published writing what i love to read; Romance!

Monday, July 4, 2011

POV: First or third person? Or, both!

I write in third person. For me it's just easier, gives me the way to hint at what the other character is thinking by describing their reactions from the main characters POV.
I have tried writing in first person, and it just doesn't sit with me.

My friend Nicole, has written her book the Arrival in an interesting mix of first person and third person. She has had many comments on how confusing it is, so you shouldn't do it.
Here is an article about how to do it, and that you can do it.

Nicole's way is not to change POV per scene but rather most of the characters have their POV in the same scene to give the reader and interesting and new way of broadening each scene.
I will admit that at first it was a tad confusing. I had told her the same, not to do it! But she was firm in her choice and i applaud her for that. I am by no means a professional, and after a few chapters it actually all came together.
That and the interesting story!

What do you think of switching from third person to first person in a single work?
If you've read Nicole's book, The Arrival (It's free on Amazon, so there's no excuse!) how did you take her interesting style?
What is your POV preference - both writing and reading!

5 comments:

  1. I read The Arrival, and thought she handled the switches between first and third person quite effectively--I got a good sense of the scene throughout the book.

    I don't really have a POV preference; first, third, and even second is all fine with me as long as it's well-written. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly Golden Eagle! It's all in the execution, as i've read many times!
    All those 'rules' of writing, are just guidelines, and many times a writer can push or break rules with execution.
    I'm still trying to figure that one out in my own writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, like you, like to write in the third, but enjoy reading in the first. For me it is more work to write in the first, but makes reading the story more enjoyable in most cases.

    As for Nicole's work, I enjoyed her use of PoV, but my wife did not. I guess it was personal preference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to read The Arrival soon - I'm excited to see how she does it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really like it when point of view switches within a scene/chapter, but I can understand the merits of that particular writing approach. The switches have to be clearly marked for me to enjoy the story, so that I'm not reading the heroine's thoughts one minute, and suddenly reading the hero's, without realising that we'd switched!

    As for third and first person, I don't think I've ever read a book with both! Jumping from third-person narrator to first-person sounds very unusual (unless, I suppose, a mystery is written in first-person, in the detective's POV, and then a brief scene on the killer is in third-person). Hmm. Interesting! You've given me much to think about :)

    ReplyDelete