Here i will share my journey of hopefully one day recognising my dream of becoming published writing what i love to read; Romance!

Friday, January 11, 2013

World Building

When i write a story i try to write "what i know". But when i've set a story in a city or country that i don't know much about, or have created from scratch!, then it requires some research and building.
For my Princess story i have created an island in the North Sea, close to England. I've researched the surrounding countries's history to get a sense of where they came from, how their culture and buildings etc were formed. I've searched about the sea, trade with these countries... It is endless.

With my Secrets and Lies story, i built a whole new fantasy world. I'd written and drawn maps, worked out seasons etc, researched herbs. But i've now decided to ground this story somewhere real, so have relied on history again. Doing research to find a good historical time to work in with my story. I've researched a place - the Hebrides. Now i have to do more extensive research of this place - seasons, climate, names, people etc.

My writer friend Nicole MacDonald created a world Gar'nyse for her BirthRight Trilogy. The things she's researched is incredible and she created names using a fantasy name generator. Her creatures are created from myths and her own ideas.

Kaily Hart has written a wonderful article about world building, Check it out Here!

How do you create your world for writing? And it doesn't have to be fantasy or historical as Kaily tells us.
Do you keep copious notes about your story? Your world?

1 comment:

  1. Okay - yes, copious notes are required for this part of planning *grin* I have a massive corkboard that gets all manner of items of interest posted on it. I think it's rather exciting to place it somewhere on earth - when are you going to place it? Just googled the Hebrides and rather excited at the research you'll be doing :) Surely there'd be some awesome doco's available too.

    ReplyDelete